What is a tenant union?
We believe that the best way to make sure that our rights are protected and that we don't get displaced from our homes is to work together. When faced with rising rents or unfair treatment, there is often little to be done individually. But when tenants organize with their neighbors to push for their rights and needs together, there is power to create change. When residents of an apartment complex or a neighborhood organize together in this way, that's called a Tenant Union.
WHEN WE WORK TOGETHER WE HAVE POWER
Reasons to organize a tenanT union
Your apartment complex has recently been bought out (or will be in the near future) and you fear that tenants may be impacted by rising rents, lease non-renewals etc.
You and your neighbors are not being treated fairly by your landlord (repairs not getting made, lack of transparent communication etc.)
You want to help establish better communication between landlord/tenants
You want to help build a stronger sense of community/communication among your neighbors
There are other changes you want to see happen at your apartment complex
WE SUPPORT YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
whAT WE DO
Homes For All Nashville helps you build your tenant union. We support you every step of the way.
- Reach out: Our first step is to help interested tenants reach out to neighbors and facilitate a meeting to identify common concerns.
- Know your rights: Next, we work with Legal Aid to provide a Tenant Rights 101 training to make sure everyone is aware of their legal rights.
- Start dealing with problems: We then help tenants with concrete next steps based on their concerns (writing a letter to owners/management, arranging meeting with city officials who may be able to help etc.)
- Build leadership: Most importantly, we assist tenants in building leadership capacity and creating a foundation for a lasting, sustainable tenant union.
- Connect with others: Lastly, we serve as a hub for tenants to meet members of other tenant unions, connecting tenants who are fighting for fair housing throughout the city/region.
*NOTE: We only work with tenants who are interested in organizing with their neighbors. We do not provide individual case management.
Tenant unions are started by people just like you - people who want what's right for their family and their neighbors.
READY TO GET STARTED?
Please provide us a few details: