YOUR RIGHTS AS A RENTER
The Legal Aid Society of Middle TN provides advice about your rights as a renter. You can also ask Homes For All Nashville to organize a training for your group or apartment complex.
- What to do if you notice problems before you move in, such as small repairs or big ones.
- How a written lease protects you by making all the agreements clear.
- When is a landlord allowed to charge you late fees and how much can they charge?
- What must you do while you're a tenant?
- Your right to a place that is fit to live in.
- Your right to live peacefully in the place you rent.
- When the landlord is allowed to enter your apartment.
- Your rights to fair housing: a landlord can't treat you differently because of race, color, country of origin, sex, religion, children or disabilities.
- What should you do if something in the apartment is broken?
- When can a landlord have your car towed?
- What can a landlord do to make you move out? What are they not allowed to do?
- What should you do if you want to move out?
Legal Aid also provides advice to help you with:
- Getting rid of bedbugs
- How to testify in court
- Low cost housing / Section 8
- Renter's insurance
- Security deposits